"What we call 'normal' is a product of repression, denial, splitting, projection, introjection and other forms of destructive action on experience. It is radically estranged from the structure of being. The more one sees this, the more senseless it is to continue with generalized descriptions of supposedly specifically schizoid, schizophrenic, hysterical 'mechanisms.' There are forms of alienation that are relatively strange to statistically 'normal' forms of alienation. The 'normally' alienated person, by reason of the fact that he acts more or less like everyone else, is taken to be sane. Other forms of alienation that are out of step with the prevailing state of alienation are those that are labeled by the 'formal' majority as bad or mad." 

R. D. Laing, The Politics of Experience

lørdag den 18. april 2009

"Biggest wake-up call ever"

"For enhver, der nogensinde har dømt nogen på grund af udseendet" hedder det i Gianna's URL. Selv vil jeg sige, for enhver, der mener at kunne dømme andre på grundlag af yderligheder, uanset i hvilken form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lpoIWv8QZY

Og siden jeg lige så lidt som Gianna er musical-fan, her et lidt mere "jazzy" alternativ:

3 kommentarer:

Monica Cassani sagde ...

hi marian,
I just stopped by because I noticed a link to me here...BUT!! It's the first time I've noticed that quote by Laing up top...do you know the first time I read Laing I underlined that specific paragraph and used to pull the book off my shelf flip through it and read it to people all the time???

I don't think I even understood it, but I KNEW it. if that makes any sense.

peace to you dear marian.

Marian sagde ...

Gianna: Makes perfectly sense. I believe, understanding changes all the time, alongside with experience, and we can know something is important, even before we can tell exactly why.

Monica Cassani sagde ...

oh, I left out I couldn't have been more than 20 or 21...so it's really kind of strange...not sure I even knew the definition of half those words.